Sunday 14 April 2013

Review - Hairspray

On Friday the 12th of March, I went to see the musical of Hairspray being performed at The Mayflower in Southampton.

I enjoyed it so much and was smiling throughout the whole performance because the energy coming from the stage was incredible!

The cast really were phenomenal, I particularly enjoyed seeing Mark Benton as Edna as this is such a contrast to when he played Mr Chalk on Waterloo Road and yet he played Edna fantastically, Timeless To Me was hilarious! I thought that the set design was simple yet amazing, I especially liked Motormouth Maybelle's Record Shop as I was convinced it was 3D when really it was just flat, very clever. I was also very impressed with the orchestra who played incredibly throughout the whole show with such confidence and energy which really had a huge impact on the whole show I think. Some highlights for me were Sandra Marvin's (playing Motormouth Maybelle) incredible vocals in I know wjere I've been and the actress who played Penny Pingleton just throughout the whole performance I thought was very impressive.

I only found two faults with the whole show which was that during It Takes Two one man singing and dancing in the background with 3 others stood slightly out of place and that was a bit annoying as it could have looked so much better if he had just stood slightly more tot he right, but I am a bit picky. I also think the spotlighting could have been improved as they were a bit shaky and inaccurate at points during the performance.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is looking to have some fun and leave the theatre with a huge smile on their face. It really was a great experience and I don't think I will experience a show as good as that in a long while.

I have learnt from seeing this performance how much of a difference energy on stage can make. Also, seeing the actors on stage enjoying themselves really made me enjoy it more so at appropriate times in future shows I will definitely apply this.

- Charlotte Kendrick

No comments:

Post a Comment